Any COVID 19 relief that’s passed should support workers first.
Specifically, this relief should focus on the five economic essentials set out by the AFL-CIO:
- Keep frontline Workers safe and secure
- Keep workers employed and protect earned pension checks.
- Keep state and local governments, our public schools, and the U.S. Postal Service solvent and working.
- Keep America healthy, protect, and expand health insurance for all workers.
- Keep America competitive-hire people to build infrastructure
We will be holding a Workers First Caravan in front of Vern Buchanan’s office in Sarasota (111 S Orange Ave, Sarasota) on Wednesday, June 17th at 11AM-12PM. This caravan will be a part of a national AFL-CIO day of action to tell Vern Buchanan to support these economic essentials.
We will be starting off from the parking lot of Sarasota City Hall (several blocks away at 1565 1st St, Sarasota) at 11AM and driving back and forth in front of Congressman Buchanan’s office. This will be accessible, as his office is situated between two roundabouts. We will have placards from the AFL-CIO with messaging for our cars, which we will distribute in compliance with social distancing guidelines.